Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Moments that Matter Most

If there's one thing I've learned on my mission, it's how to cherish a moment.  Other missionaries can back me up here when I say that time does strange things while you're on a mission. The days are incredibly long, the weeks fly by, and the months are just a blur. It feels like just a month or two ago that I left home for Oregon, and I'm sitting here with only 9 weeks left of my 18 months.

(Note: a lot of missionaries are really uncomfortable with telling people how long they've been out or how long they have left. Not usually the best question to ask a missionary. I don't care, though, because this could go one of two ways: either I have 9 weeks left and I'm sad about it, or I have 9 weeks left and I'm happy about it. Either way, I have 9 weeks left--that's not going to change--so I might as well be happy.)

Moments are the molecules that make up eternity. I want to have a good eternity, so I should do my best to have some pretty good moments. I'm sure a lot of you other lovely people feel that way, too. So how do we make some good moments for ourselves?

Here are my thoughts:

1. Focus on the things that matter most. For me right now, it's having a good laugh with my companion, watching people change their lives through baptism, feeling the Spirit tell me I'm doing something right. For me later, it will be time with family, time with friends, and moments of quiet introspection that lead to revelation and self-discovery. Basically, the things that matter most are relationships--with family, friends, God, and ourselves.

2. Let go of the things that don't. I frequently need to let go of pride, selfishness, that nagging obsession I have with being on time to things (even though we're always running late), anger/frustration, etc. These moments are no good. I don't want to remember them.

3. Focus on the good. Okay, this one sounds a little cliche. But no matter what situation you find yourself in, there is always some good. Even if the only good thing is that you're still breathing and that God still loves you, that's enough to get you through.

4. Slow down. Don't worry so much about being busy. Business does not equal success. Take a breather. Finally stop and smell those roses. Appreciate the moments while they're happening.

Friends, "we would do well to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most" (Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Of Things That Matter Most"). Don't live for the moment---don't let the here and now be all you're focused on--but live in the moment. Enjoy the time while you have it. Prioritize, simplify, slow down, and enjoy.

Here is my list. I try to make sure everything I do is contributing to at least one of the things on this list.
 Priorities, man. Priorities.

Happiness is the destination, but it is also the journey. My challenge for you: Prioritize. Make a list of the things that matter most to you. If anything you're doing isn't helping you create those good moments--if anything you're doing doesn't match the list you wrote down--take a step back, slow down a little, and refocus. I promise, you'll be much happier.

Try it out! Challenge: Write down your list and post a picture below. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment