Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Fixing Broken Things

Many of you know that I'm fascinated by mental disorders. When I'm not a missionary, I'm avidly learning about psychology and all the various things that can go wrong with a person's personality or mood. My plan for when my mission is over is to pursue a PhD in clinical psychology so I can participate in research and diagnostics for people with disorders like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and antisocial personality disorder.

As strange as it sounds, there's one disorder that is especially close to my heart--Major Depressive Disorder. I have several close friends and loved ones who deal with this condition. Thinking of these loved ones--and everyone else who has depression--makes me want so badly to help in any way I can.

Being a missionary, I'm taking time off from my passion of psychology to focus on my other passion--the gospel of Jesus Christ. I signed up to spend 18 months out here to help others improve their spiritual well-being as opposed to their mental well-being. What I didn't realize (though I probably should have) is how closely related those two things are.

This talk is probably one of my favorite things that I've ever heard. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, one of the Twelve Apostles on the earth today, gave this address to the Church in October of 2013. It deeply touched my heart; I want to encourage all of you to read/watch it.


This talk touches a lot on the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Through the Atonement, all things will be made whole. Elder Holland said near the end of this address: "Though we may feel we are “like a broken vessel,” as the Psalmist says, we must remember, that vessel is in the hands of the divine potter. Broken minds can be healed just the way broken bones and broken hearts are healed. While God is at work making those repairs, the rest of us can help by being merciful, nonjudgmental, and kind."

Mental disorders are something that doctors of psychology are still trying to understand. We don't know how to cure them or what causes them. We may never fully understand these issues in this life, although we will continue to do what we can. I find great comfort in the thought that those who suffer from mental illness can be succored to some degree in this life by an understanding Savior; I find great joy in knowing that all will be made whole in the eternities. 

I am grateful for a combined understanding of things both temporal and eternal. I will devote my professional life to finding immediate treatments for disorders, and I will continue to devote my spiritual life to helping others find the healing balm of peace through the Atonement. 

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite talks, as well. True Christians will love and be compassionate toward all people, to include the mentally ill. And I hope that after your mission, you are able to help many people with mental illness and ease their suffering.

    ReplyDelete